Monday, May 12, 2008

chocolate banana swirl bread 朱古力香蕉扭紋麵包

I can't tell you how much I love the combination of banana and chocolate. I can't eat banana often since it will turn my stomach into a balloon (It's really a torture!), but I definitely LOVE banana flavored pastry.

Back in Vancouver, I always buy the chocolate swirl bread from a bakery, yummy yummy yummy! So here I am, I even paired it with banana, yesk!



Not bad for a first attempt, isn't it? The result is a big success (besides the imperfect swirl). This bread tastes quite like the one that I bought from store. Soft bread with a hint of banana fragrance, paired with moist and chocolaty filling, one word, AWESOME!


Chocolate Banana Swirl Bread

1 bread loaf
recipes revised from // 天然、無添加的手作麵包


: Banana bread dough :
Bread flour // 300g
Sugar // 30g
Salt // 4g
Milk powder // 9g
Milk // 30g
Egg // 30g
Ice water // 45g
Banana, mashed // 100g
Dry Yeast // 5g
Butter // 30g

1. In a large bowl, combine everything except butter. Beat until well blended using a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment. Add in butter and knead until dough is smooth and elastic. Shape into a ball. Place dough in a greased bowl. Cover, and let rise in a warm place for 60 minutes (2.5~3 times larger in size).

2. Roll the dough into a ball. Let rest for 25 minutes.

3. Roll out the dough into a rectangle (2:1). Place the chocolate sheet on the middle of the dough. Wrap both ends of the dough over to cover the chocolate sheet completely. Seal the edges tightly.

4. Gently roll dough from center to the edges to form a long rectangle. Fold the dough into 3 folds. Cut into 2 long stripes. Twist both ends with different direction to from the swirl. Seal the ends underneath.

5. Let rise for 50 minutes or until 1.5~2 times larger in size. Brush egg wash on the top.

6. Bake 200C/392F for 40 minutes. You may need to leave a small gap in the oven door to prevent over baking the top. (I opened the door in last 10 minutes, the top is browned, but did not burn)



: chocolate sheet:
20g cake flour
50g sugar
1 egg white
80ml milk (warmed)
18g cocoa powder
10g butter

1. Mix sugar and cake flour into the egg white until smooth.

2. Place milk in a saucepan and heat till just simmering.

3. Add coca powder into the milk and stir till cocoa powder is incorporated into milk.

4. Add egg white mixture into the cocoa mixture and stir over low fire till mixture thickens and form a thick lump.

5. Add in butter and stir till incorporated.

6. Leave to cool. Place in a plastic bag and roll into a square. Keep refrigerated before use.

* notes *
1. I have already lessen the sugar in the banana dough recipe. I think it tastes just right for sweetness. If you really want to lessen the consumption of the sugar, try take out some more sugar in the chocolate filling recipe.

2. Always use ripe banana!



朱古力香蕉扭紋麵包

1 bread loaf
recipes revised from // 天然、無添加的手作麵包


: 香蕉麵糰 :
高筋麵粉 // 300g
砂糖// 30g
鹽 // 4g
奶粉 // 9g
牛奶 // 30g
蛋 // 30g
冰水 // 45g
香蕉泥 // 100g
乾酵母 // 5g
牛油 // 30g

1. 將所有材料(牛油外)放入攪拌盆中,拌成粗麵糰,再加牛油再搓至光滑薄膜狀態。蓋上保鮮膜做基本發酵至2.5~3倍大。

2. 滾圓靜置25分鐘。

3. 鬆弛完畢後麵糰用手壓扁後,以桿麵棍桿平成長方型(2:1)。將朱古力奶酥放在中間,包好收邊。輕輕以桿麵棍桿平成長條,左右疊摺成三摺。

4. 從中間切開,成2條長條,雙手拿起頭尾以反方向扭成扭紋,頭尾反摺收於底。

4. 最後發酵至1.5倍大,入爐前掃上蛋液。

5. 200C/392F 焗40分鐘,打開焗爐少許以免表面燒焦。



: 朱古力奶酥 :
低筋麵粉 // 20g
砂糖// 50g
蛋白 // 1
牛奶 // 80ml
朱古力粉 // 18g
牛油 // 10g

1. 混合砂糖和低筋麵粉,倒入蛋白攪勻。

2. 牛奶倒入鍋中,加熱至微滾時,加入朱古力粉拌勻。

3. 將蛋白糊加入朱古力奶中,以慢火加熱,不停攪拌至厚身糊狀。

4. 加入牛油,拌勻放涼。

5. 取一大張保鮮紙(長度可對摺成正方型),朱古力奶酥放在一邊的中間,對摺成正方型,以桿麵棍桿平成正方型。包好後放入雪櫃冷藏成型。

* notes *
1/ 香蕉麵糰已減砂糖份量,成品是微甜,配上朱古力奶酥剛剛好。若真的要減可減奶酥的砂糖份量。

2/ 香蕉越熟越香,最好用多黑點的。



You can view the step-by-step tutorial here

comment | 9 comments:
Venus ~ Vi said...

Hi yujai~

Oh my, must be yummy! As you know I am a die hard chocoholic; however, I careless about banana! Therefore, I won't fight with you. You can have the bread all to yourself!

Yujai said...

Vi, I want some of your molten chocolate cake!

I am so frustrated on printing the invitation....just way too many damn issues happened and I am so pissed now!!!!! I need chocolate!!!!!!!!

Mandy said...

I love the combination of banana and chocolate. Definitely going to make this soon. Thanks for the recipe.

Yujai said...

Mandy: try it try it, it's sooo good! My co-worker keeps bugging me for more XD

Venus ~ Vi said...

Hey Yujai~

You must be busy preping for the big day since I haven't seen you around lately! Hope the invitations turned out okay~

My Sweet & Saucy said...

Thanks so much for checking out my blog! This bread looking delicious! Great photo!

Anonymous said...

I tried this recipe not too long ago and I loved it! It was my first time making bread too! The instructions and recipe are easy enough for bread newbies like me. :]

Yujai said...

Sweet! Congrats on your first bread making experience ;)

Emily said...

This looks wonderful and I would like to try it. But I don't understand the twisting: So, you have two strips and you twist each one, correct? What happens next? Do you twist the two twists around each other? And do you bring the ends together and make a circle? Thank you!

comment | post | menu