Sunday, February 28, 2010

Chestnut fever III: Buttery chestnut earl grey cake

What more can I ask for? All my favourite ingredients all in one piece!

2010-02-28 Chestnut early grey cake

Last week, I had a sudden crave for buttery buttery pound cake (also due to the butter is going to expire soon ;p). With some freshly made marron glacé in my fridge, it has to be a chestnut buttery cake. Since I am a sucker of new combination, I wanted to try a new variation. I was looking around in the pantry for inspiration, and the box of earl grey on the top shelf summoned me!

2010-02-28 Chestnut earl grey cake

This cake, oh my, it's fragrant and delicious! First you taste the fragrant earl grey blends with the liquor flavour, then comes in the nutty chestnut and finally the buttery texture. You got to try it!

It tasted the best after a day or so sitting in the refrigerator to allow the liquor flavour sinks in.

2010-02-28 Chestnut earl grey cake

Also to celebrate both Canadian men's and women's hockey won the golds!! Team Canada, you kickass!!

I watched the game in Bellingham with 2 other friends from Vancouver (I cannot leave the States at this moment due to vista renewal). Glad that I didn't get beat up XD Surprisingly half of the crowd was cheering for the Canadian team!

2010-02-28 Chestnut earl grey cake

Buttery chestnut earl grey cake




Flour // 80g
Butter // 95g
Sugar // 80g
Egg // 85g
Baking powder // 2g
Chestnut puree // 20g
Marron glacé // 90g
Liqour // 15g
Earl grey // 1 packet

1. Cream butter in a large bowl until creamy. Add in sugar bits by bits until the mixture is soft and pale.

2. Add in the chestnut puree into the butter mixture, mix well. Add in the beaten egg and finally the tea leaves.

3. Combine cake flour and baking powder. Add into the mixture all at once. Fold to combine. Pour in the liquor and mix well.

4. Bake 170C/338F for 45 minutes. Take the cake out of the oven and insert the chestnuts and pecan on the top. Return to the oven and bake for another 15 - 20 minutes.

5. Brush liquor on the top of the cake when it's still warm. Let it cool in room temperature and place in the refrigerator overnight. Take out the cake 15~20 minutes from the refrigerator before serving. (To bring it back to the room temperature)

:Notes:

1. For variation, try pairing chestnuts with matcha, chocolate, pear or even yam.

2. The sweetness is just right with this recipe. Not as subtle as my other recipes but just right. I recommend to keep the sugar measurement as it.

3. You can use any kind of liquor like Brandy, Whiskey, Rum or Cognac. I don't recommend to use the fruity ones or Kahlua because there is already a complex flavour in the cake, let's keep it simple.

comment | 7 comments:
Anonymous said...

sounds divine!! saw this on craftster, i love your blog and recipes. beautiful.

Chocolate Shavings said...

The chestnut in this cake sounds like the perfect touch, yum!

Gala said...

Love the flavor combo!

dapan said...

thanks for sharing, yujai! love your blog! ^^
i'm a chestnut lover.

Yujai said...

Thanks everyone :D More chestnut recipes to come!!

Rebecca said...

I love chestnuts and tea! I'm thinking of making this Hungarian-style cake that is all about chestnuts for Easter... And using your technique for marrons glaces, that is, if I can find chestnuts in the grocery stores around here still. This recipe sounds so good! I wonder if chestnuts and chai tea are a good pairing...

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Hi, This is my 1st time here, like your pictures and foods, will visit you more often.

comment | post | menu